First Aid Incident Management
Remember ASTHMA as your First Aid Checklist when dealing with a first aid incident
- Assess the situation – See how many casualties there are, see if there are people around that can help you. Take control of the situation and lead the following steps:
- Safe Area – make the area safe, look and check for danger – keep yourself safe and then ensure that the casualties are safe. Remember not to move an unconscious casualty unless necessary. Always assume neck and back injury!
- Treatment – Ask for consent to treat where possible. Remember to get other people to help if possible.
- Help – call the emergency services – Always Give the Following Information:
- Name and telephone number
- Give exact location
- Type of incident
- Number of patients
- Condition of patients
- Any hazards
- DON’T HANG UP THE PHONE UNTIL YOU ARE TOLD TO DO SO !
Manage the Aftermath – fill in paperwork, accident books and assist with the clean up, Replenish first Aid box. Have a cup of tea and talk about what has happened with someone